Friday, January 1, 2010

Merry Christmas and happy New Year from our crew to yours.

The past few weeks have been a bit of a blur. I picked up a few extra days at work to pay for Christmas, parents in to visit from New Mexico, visiting family, and attending weddings and Christmas parties. Needless to say the blogging fell behind. I will most likely be a weekly blogger at best.
We celebrated Christmas with Chris' family on Christmas Eve and had a great visit. I watched the love a almost 4 year old for her great-grandfather as she ran to hug an kiss a very frail and ill 80 something man. It made my heart melt for her to see past all the sickness and embrace him with all the love she had. Thank you Lord for a sweet little girl who loves others with so much passion.
Christmas morning we opened up presents from Santa and the mommy and daddy. She was so excited to see the "car slide" she had asked Santa for on 4 separate occasions. She kept asking how he got it down the chimney. Next year I hope he delivers toys that are already put together.
Maddax opened his tickle me Elmo, but was more enamored by the paper than the present.
That evening we spent Christmas with my family at my sisters. We played Phase 10, ate lots of food and Christmas candy, told stories about our childhood, and just enjoyed each others company. Christmas Day was drawn to an end with my little girl turning 4. Her birthday is not till the 26th but we decided to make due of the fact that we were already together. I was going to happily make her a birthday cake but Makenna insisted on her Nana making it instead. Is she trying to imply something? Nana did a fabulous job on the cake. It turned out better than I or Makenna could have ever dreamed. Makenna was so excited to turn 4 and eat her cake. I on the other hand was not so happy. It was a very bittersweet moment. My little girl was growing up. Sob Sob.
In all the hustle of the Christmas season we found every opportunity to tell Makenna and Maddax the real reason for Christmas. One night she came into the kitchen with a blanket on her head and holding a baby. I said, "What are you doing?" She said, "I am an angel and this is baby Jesus. I must lay him on the hay." I am so glad she knows about the real reason we celebrate Christmas. Sometimes even as Christians we get caught up in craziness of the season and forget the true meaning of it all. That God sent his only son to be born in a stable so that we may have life eternal. This Christmas I want to say thank you Lord for your gift of love and mercy.

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog! Great job Melissa. You are amazing.. What a heartwarming Christmas Story about the little girl and Makenna sharing her princess array. What a beautiful way to teach Makenna the real meaning of Christmas. Well, apparently she had already been taught and was only putting it into practice.
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAKENNA Is that your birthday cake? WOW Nana is really something! I am sure you could do that Melissa. So good to see you today!

    ReplyDelete