Monday, April 5, 2010

Firearms 101

Before you freak out and call the law on me, my husband is a police officer.

Chris decided to eat dinner with us tonight.  We were excited.  Having daddy home for dinner is a special treat.  He rarely gets to come home on duty to eat because he is so busy being a "sheep dog" (whole other story).  We fixed a baked ham, mashed potatos (real ones), and green beans (Maddax favorite food). Then sat down to indulge.  While eating daddy got a random idea.  Lets teach Makenna about guns. 

I was a little taken aback, but he is a firearms instructor and I figured he new best.  He took the gun apart and unloaded it.  He told her about all the parts and how dangerous it could be.  Then he let her hold it.  Yes, unloaded. Her eyes grew as big a saucers. 

She looked so awkward holding that big ol thing, so he took off his smaller back up weapon, unloaded it and let her hold it.  She liked it much better.

Alfter his lesson was complete he made her tell him everything he had told her about safety. She said, "It is dangerous.  I should never touch it if I see it (which she won't because they are ALWAYS locked up), and that if someone got shot they would have to go to the hospital, the doctor, or even the DENTIST." I chucked inside.  She hates the dentist.  Very long and painful story.

The reason he did all of this was to take away the curiosity of guns.  Now that she is familiar with them she is less likely to be curious if she ever sees one.  On top of that she knows how dangerous they can be and fear can be a very powerful learning tool.  I was in her shoes many, many, many years ago.  My dad did the same to me and I frequented the back yard with him and one of his guns.  I enjoyed spending that time with him and I know one day when Makenna is much, much, much, did I say much, older she will do the same.

This is kinda like sin.  Sometimes the curiosity of sin makes it enticing.  And before you know it the thought of sin gives way to action and there you are knee deep in sin.  But knowing how satan works and being aware of your weaknesses helps to circumvent that enticement and the Holy Spirit will help guide you away from its entrapment.  When all else fails, and sometimes it does, it is good to know that although we may be knee deep in sin we are graciously covered by the blood of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment