Monday, March 22, 2010

My Little Learner


Three days a week Makenna attends a local pre-school.  She gets up gets ready and walks all the way there.  Just so happens it is in our kitchen.  I have been homeschooling Makenna now for 6 months and I love it.  I am using a cirriculum call "My Fathers World" and she loves it too. We learn a new letter every 5 days and over those 5 days we learn new things about each letter like its sound, how to write it, how to sign it, how it makes words, etc.  There is also a math and science component to each lesson.  One day for the letter L we were studying leaves and she had to go out and get 5 leaves to trace and color. It was raining.  So we pulled out rain boots and an umbrella and out she went.  I think raining made it oh so much more fun for her.

Her least favorite part of school is penmenship so I make her do a little everyday.  She does not like for me to watch over her shoulder so she asks me to go do my hair so she can do it all by herself.  Then she comes running to me to show her hard work.  I am so glad she has a passion to learn.  I never really enjoyed learning. In fact I do not remember studying much till I reached college. So I am trying to make her enjoy our time together.





(I wrote her name)
I have learned alot about myself through teaching her.  Things like I want excellance and that is not the desire I want to want.  I want to show her the character of Christ in all I do and I am pretty sure he was not the best at penmenship.  My patience has been ever stretched at times by her persistance on how to hold the pencil or the distractability that is natural to a 4 year old.  That is when we close up shop for the day and try again the next.  I am teaching a Kindergarden cirr to a pre-schooler so she is going to evolve more slowly that a 5-6 year old. I do not wish to push her to burn out.  God is using this experience to refine me and though at times I may not have a "HAPPY HEART" I am reminded that His grace is sufficient for me.

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing how God uses all things to teach us the character of Christ. Sometimes I think our children are our best teachers. As long as you continue to aspire that character, you'll experience Christ and his love. Hang-in there and learn, for life is full of learning. Mom

    ReplyDelete