Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Farm time fun

My sister, God love her, took me and my two munchkins to Huber's Farm the other day.  I have been wanting to pick blueberries to make jam but did not know when they would be in season.  She called to tell me they were ripe for the picken as well as raspberries and green beans. Despite the fact I still am not to par I decided to go for the conversation, exercise and fresh air.  The winding road that lead to the farm about put as all over the edge but at last we made it.

We picked blueberries first. It was so easy.  You put the bunch of berries in your hand and rub your thumb across them and only the ripe one would fall off the vine.  We picked 6 buckets in 45 minutes.  We would have had more but Makenna ate more than she picked.  I thought they might end up weighing her and making me pay for any poundage increase. My niece Callie, who is amazing with little ones, managed Maddax while she picked.  She said as long as she fed him blueberries has was quite content.  We loaded the wagon for the ride back to the farm to weigh and pay for our berries. Then we walked down to the lake for a picnic lunch. It was all shaded and nice breeze was coming off the water.  As we started to chow down on our PB&J a little voice said, "I need to potty." No, not Makenna.  My darling sister saved me and graciously trucked back up to the farm to potty my poor child.  I was forever thankful.  The kids played for awhile feeding the geese and fish.  They, the geese and fish, both loved the Chex Mix I had made. (severe craving for that lately)


We loaded back up on the wagon to pick raspberries.  It was creeping into the hotter part of the day and the kids fatigue was starting to set it.  The raspberries were much harder to pick and the thorns that accompanied them added to our frustration.

I picked enough to make 2 batches of jam and half a gallon to flash freeze.  The kids were burning up at this time and complaining about being tired. So we loaded up again to go weigh and pay for our raspberries.

Maddax feel asleep on the ride back and after much thought we just decided to buy the green beans instead of having to pick anything else in that heat.  The kids were relieved.


The next day we got to canning green beans, pickles, sauerkraut, and pickled cauliflower.  Sherrie and I were so proud of ourselves. It was like I was a kid again watching my mom do canning but this time I am the mom.

Speaking of mom.  Her and dad decided to drive in to save us from the long journey.  I am so thankful that they did.  I think my sister would have thrown me out of the car after the first hour of nausea set in. So I am looking forward to the next couple of weeks and all the time we get to spend as a family.  I cherish all the moments we get to spend together, all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment